The University Library hires students to support our seven libraries and our bindery unit.
If we have vacancies, applications will be accepted:
- June 1 - 20 for employment during the academic term (September to April)
- Mar 1 - 15 for employment during the summer (May to August)
To qualify as a student employee, you must be registered in one of the following:
- 18 or more credit units or three full classes during the regular session with the University of Saskatchewan
- As a full time graduate student with the University of Saskatchewan
- As a full time student in Saskatchewan Polytechnic's Library and Information Technology Program
Duties and Skills
- Shelving books and ensuring books on shelves are in proper order
- Book/materials check-in and check-out
- General patron assistance
- Book pickups
- Photocopying or scanning
- Shelf maintenance
- Labelling and minor mending of damaged materials
- Other duties, as assigned
- Effective oral and written communication, time management skills as well as excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and use initiative
- Comfort with working alone during evenings and weekends, as needed
- Demonstrated ability to cope with diverse tasks and be adaptable
- Proficient keyboarding skills and knowledge of Microsoft (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment
- Ability to do moderately heavy lifting
- CUPE 1975 Phase 1 – $15.25 per hour
- Employees pay monthly union dues to CUPE 1975
- The last week of Aug and first week of Sept there are 3 – 6 hours of paid mandatory training. This training is mandatory in order to be scheduled for shifts.
- On-the-job training will also be provided.
Hours of Work
- U of S students will not be permitted to work more than 80 hours per month. These maximums apply even if the employee is also working elsewhere on campus in either CUPE 1975 or FAPA positions.
- Students enrolled in Saskatchewan Polytechnic's Library and Information Technology diploma program will not be permitted to work more than 50 hours per month.
- Shift schedules will be posted at assigned locations at least one week in advance
- No guaranteed hours of work